(800) 664-1229 ds@bluediamondwebs.com
Select Page
The JavaScript Framework That Puts Web Pages on a Diet

The JavaScript Framework That Puts Web Pages on a Diet

Websites are too damn big.

The average web page is about 2 megabytes, according to HTTP Archive, a site that tracks the performance of websites and the technologies they use. Sure you can download 2 megabytes in less than a second on a good 4G mobile connection. But today’s web pages are problematic for people on slow connections or with small bandwidth caps. Not all that long ago, a complex game or software program fit on a 1.4 megabyte floppy disk.

There are many reasons today’s web is so bloated, including the ads and tracking scripts that saddle so many pages. Another reason is that websites do much more than just display text and images. Many sites now look and feel like full-blown desktop applications.

To build these interactive sites, many web developers turn to open source packages that handle common tasks. These tools liberate programmers from a lot of

Open Source Fonts Are Love Letters to the Design Community

Open Source Fonts Are Love Letters to the Design Community

Font families can sell for hundreds of dollars. Gotham, a popular typeface used by President Barack Obama’s campaign and many others, costs nearly $1,000 to license a complete set of 66 different styles. But The League of Moveable Type, gives all of its fonts away for free. What’s more, it makes them open source, so that other people can modify the fonts and make their own versions of them.

And people have. Raleway, designed by Matt McInerney and released in 2010, was expanded from a single weight into a family with nine weights, from “thin” to bold to “black,” each with matching italics, in 2012 by Pablo Impallari, Rodrigo Fuenzalida, and Igino Marini. It’s now one of the most popular font families on Google Fonts, a collection of free fonts hosted by the search giant.

Over the past decade, companies ranging from startups like the IT tool company Datto to

The US Hits Huawei With New Charges of Trade Secret Theft

The US Hits Huawei With New Charges of Trade Secret Theft

Competitors have long accused Chinese telecommunications giant Huawei of corporate espionage. Now the company is facing US federal charges over what prosecutors call a decades-long conspiracy to steal trade secrets.

On Thursday, the Department of Justice filed a 16 count indictment against Huawei that included charges under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO). The indictment alleges that as long ago as 2000, Huawei stole trade secrets from at least six US companies. The companies aren’t named, but previous lawsuits by Cisco and Motorola against the Chinese company are mirrored in the indictment.

The new filing incorporates charges from an earlier indictment, released last year, alleging that Huawei misled banking partners about violations of US sanctions against Iran and that the company stole trade secrets from T-Mobile. Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou, the daughter of the company’s founder, Ren Zhengfei, was arrested in Canada on those charges in late 2018. She is still in Canada under house arrest while fighting extradition to the US. The new indictment alleges that in addition to Iran, Huawei sold equipment to North Korea.

Huawei didn’t respond to a request for comment, but told The Wall Street Journal that the indictment “is part of the Justice Department’s attempt to irrevocably damage Huawei’s reputation and its business for reasons related to competition rather than law enforcement.”

As for the RICO charge, “the ‘racketeering enterprise’ that the government charged today is nothing more than a contrived repackaging of a handful of civil allegations that are almost 20 years old,” the company said.

By using the RICO act, the DOJ is alleging that Huawei didn’t just commit one or more crimes but essentially operated an ongoing criminal enterprise, says Joshua Rich, partner and general counsel at the Chicago-based intellectual property law firm McDonnell Boehnen Hulbert & Berghoff.

The previous indictment already posed a significant threat to Huawei. If convicted of defrauding banks to conceal its dealings with Iran, Huawei could be excluded from the US financial system, which would make it much harder for the company to do business around the world. The RICO charges give prosecutors yet another way to block Huawei from US banks if it isn’t convicted on the fraud charges. “It’s not just an escalation but a doubling down,” says Jacob S. Frenkel, a former federal prosecutor who’s now a government investigations and securities enforcement attorney for Dickinson Wright.

Frenkel says Huawei will most likely try to negotiate a plea deal to avoid the most extreme consequences. The new charges will give the US government more leverage in those negotiations.

The indictment follows the signing last month of a “phase one” trade deal with China. President Trump had previously floated the possibility of intervening in the case against Meng as part of trade negotiations with China.

Complaints about Huawei’s alleged theft of intellectual property are hardly new. Cisco sued Huawei in 2003 over claims that the Chinese company had not only copied source code from Cisco products but also copied text from user manuals. The companies settled out of court. So did Motorola, which sued Huawei in 2010 alleging that the Chinese company had knowingly received Motorola trade secrets.

Previous allegations against Huawei came from a former employee of the defunct Canadian telecommunications equipment company Nortel. Brian Shields, former Nortel senior adviser for systems security, told the CBC in 2012 that hackers working for Huawei had stolen passwords from Nortel executives, giving Huawei access to the company’s trade secrets, in an operation dating back at least to 2000. (These allegations aren’t a part of the indictment.)